Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Louis J Sheehan 238210.067

Louis J Sheehan Final exams are over (they went well) and now I’m doing things that piled up – were delayed – while I was preparing for Finals.
I’m feeling tired and sluggush, but ironically I think that is because I HAVEN’T been exercising; in a very short time exercising seems to actually create more energy than it uses!


Here is a little slice of life story –

I have very large front-loading washers and dryers (because of the dogs) in a wash closet (a standard American arrangement).

The other day I pulled some clothes out of the dryer and stacked them on top of the dryer. Then I accidently knocked off some of the clothes into the space behind the dryer (there is a little space between the washer/dryer and the wall behind them). The small open area behind the washer & dryer is not easily accessed.

I climbed on top of the dryer to use broom sticks (a la oriental chop-sticks) to retrieve the clothes. In my effort, I accidently knocked off the loosely affixed connection between the dryer and the outdoor vent (the vent is to funnel the humid heat and the bits of cloth that come loose in the dryer).


Yes, yes, one goof-up after another. My personality is normally to stay on top of things and, in a situation like this, to fix things back to where they were right away. But I had finals so I put the recovery off for a few days.

A few days later I pulled the dryer out enough to get behind it … but that was too far to allow me to reconnect the vent. While I was back there I became aware of years’ worth of accumulated dust.

I climbed back out and pushed the dryer about halfway back and then moved to pull out the washer to allow me to finish the job. In grabbing the washer, I accidently pushed a button that started the longest possible washing cycle – 2 hours, 45 minutes. So I had to wait.

After the washer had finished washing nothing, I was able to crawl back there, clean out the mountains of dust, more securely affix the vent than it had been before, and retrieve the two socks that had fallen behind the dryer.

Life is like that: sometimes little mistakes are made which require extra effort yet from which one can benefit. I’m also happy to report that I am becoming ever more patient with age.




http://Louis-J-Sheehan.us
http://louis-j-sheehan.us/page1.aspx
http://louis-j-sheehan.us/Blog/blog.aspx

No comments: